What can Mark help me with?

This section is designed to answer any questions you may have about how I may be able to help you.

I am only able to deal with issues raised by residents who live in the constituency, you can check that you live in Rugby and Bulkington constituency by clicking here, all you need is your postcode.

Many people think that their MP can solve all their problems. This is sadly not the case. MPs are there to help only with those matters for which Parliament or Central Government is responsible for, such as matters relating to:

  • Tax queries involving the HM Revenue and Customs.
  • Issues dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions, such as employment, benefits, pensions, National Insurance and child maintenance. 
  • Issues dealt with by the Home Office, such as crime, the police, counter terrorism, alcohol, drugs, immigration and passports.
  • Issues dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals, the NHS and public health.
  • Issues dealt with by the Department for Education, such as children, young people, families, education and training for 16 to 19 year olds, school standards, teacher training. Academies and educational grants.

When should I contact someone else?

Some issues are not the direct responsibility of Parliament or Government, therefore I cannot help resolve disputes with neighbours, landlords or employers, family arguments or consumer matters. MPs cannot interfere with matters of legal process including court decisions. Nor can they offer legal advice or give immigration advice. In these instances, you should contact your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau or seek appropriate independent legal advice. 

I don't have any power of control over the local councils covering the constituency. Issues such as planning matters, housing etc should always be raised with your local councillor. You can check who this is at www.writetothem.com. However, I may be able to help by writing to a local council to highlight the issue you have, but you should always contact your local councillor first.

How will Mark deal with my problem?

When a constituent writes or emails me, I will do all that they can to help you with you problem, such as writing a letter to the relevant Agency, Government Department or Government Minister. 

Many problems (but not all) can be resolved in this way. Whilst I cannot always obtain the answer you would like, I can ascertain that correct procedures have been followed and I will always do my very best to help you with the assistance of my constituency caseworkers.

Alternatively, if I feel it is more appropriate and a constituent is happy for the issue to be made public, I may ask an oral or written question, or secure a debate or petition Parliament.

Rest assured that any personal information you give to me will be handled confidentially by me and my office staff, in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998.